Wednesday, December 10, 2008

3 More to Go!

It is hard finding motivation to line up for tomorrow's Cyclocross National Championships. If the event was not in KC I would not be toeing the line for sure, but because the race venue is only 10 miles from my house I really don't have a good excuse not to race.

I rode the course last weekend and let's say that I was less than impressed. Perhaps it snowed enough yesterday to make the course more interesting. It seems that if it snows and the course conditions are muddy/icy that's all it takes to make a "great event" or a "great course".

Packet pickup was today. I foolishly signed up for 3 classes earlier in the year. B Men 40+ Thursday, Master Men 40-44 Saturday and Single Speed on Sunday. On the way home I recalled how "festive" packet pickups are for events like the Ironman Kansas and even at the MTB National Championships that I went to a couple of years ago out in Sonoma, CA. The events made you feel like something special was taking place. Today's packet pickup had some tables and boxes....


Goals? Only two. Have some fun during the last cyclocross race of the year and not get lapped...

1 comment:

Mark Studnicki said...

i'm right there with ya. Can't wait till next year when Nationals are not here. Field sizes are too big, only the first 10 rows have any realistic shot. Parking was going to be a nightmare anyway. Now with the grass parking eliminated, there won't even be enough parking for the racers, let alone spectators. If I wasn't already signed up, I'd go out to watch. I was registered about 30 seconds after it opened and i'm still barried back 7 or 8 rows. Last year, there were only a few riders called up BEHIND me and I moved up to 16th by race end. Maybe having 50 less people infront of me will translate into a top 10. as far as the Elite race sunday, I'd be happey to finish on the lead lap this time and finish in the mid 30's