Sunday, May 11, 2008

Bike Week 2008

Bike Week 2008 is here. Since Saturday I have parked my vehicles and plan to go everywhere via my bike or my feet.

This weekend was spent getting ready for the Car Free Challenge and doing some errands like getting that much needed hair cut (all via the bike). The ladies at J. Michael's were into the Challenge as I told them about it. I encouraged them to give it a try. Both have bicycles, but declined because they felt the roads to work were too dangerous. I agreed with them, but added that they are getting better and by following some simple rules of the road you can have a safe ride.


For my daily commute to work (31 miles one way) I will have all my safety gear on. Especially lights since I will be beginning my day at 4:45 a.m. It may be overkill, but I have the following: Dual MiNewt, Princeton Tec H2O headlamp, EXL-ITE Illuminator belt, PMS Safety Wear ankle straps, Micro R mini rear light, illuminNITE vest/leg warmers and a Cateye rear light. This year I will also use my cool U.S. Postal back pack that Roger Harrison gave me which has some reflective strips on it..

My rig for this week will be my Kona Snake. I have fenders on her and since I installed them, I have been bone dry for every ride. The weather this week is calling for a slight chance of rain. Not that I want it to rain, but I am one of the few fools that ride into work no matter what the conditions are during the Commuter Challenge. It is my only chance to defend my title :-). I have left the food preparation up to my wife, Carolynn. In preparation of tomorrow's commute she has chosen a high carbohydrate meal of pasta.

No comments: