Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cross Off the Old Year Race Report

Today Christopher and I decided to skip snow skiing up at Snow Creek and instead head over to Shawnee, Kansas for round #5 of the series60cx series. The final race of the year so named Cross off the Old Year Race.

Conditions were a bit cold but nothing to bad. The course was a big loop around Stump Park with two little out back sections to add some length. One dismount comprised of a couple of hay bales and another section of heavy snow that you had a 50/50 chance of making depending on if any one else was in front of you. Most of the course was packed snow with some mud and ice which is what you would expect for this time of year. Ice buildup on your bike and wheels were a little problem today. Check out Roger's photos for more pics.

I wanted to get a lap or two in to warm up, but only got a 1/2 lap in before Christopher was yelling at me telling me they were calling my name to line up. When I got there I was in back of the Cat 3 field. They had us lined up on the side walk to start which meant that we were two or three abreast going as we started with not much area to pass in. Nothing much to do except follow and wait for an opening or for someone to make a mistake.

First lap was spent trying to bridge up to the leaders, keep the frozen ice off my 'chops' and salvage my race. I extended myself a little to much and in hind site should have just ridden my own race the entire way instead of pushing so hard on the first lap. Especially with the lack of any hard efforts as of late. I settled in and slowly picked off riders until I got up to 4th place. I could see 2nd and 3rd just a few seconds up. Chris Hersey had checked out and was on his way to another win (someone should upgrade this guy :-)). I started to feel better towards the end of the race and if the race distance was the normal 40 - 45 min maybe I could have reached the podium.

My Ritchey tires and Crank Brothers eggbeaters worked great today. I talked to several rides who were having problems with ice buildup on their pedals. Everyone of them had another brand. I am just saying.... The old Jack the Snake was not that bad either. I made some adjustments after the Missouri State CX and felt much better on her. Now I just need to stop skiing, eating and drinking so much. On second thought, is winning that important? Yes Carolynn, I will have another beer........


Fun racing in the snow and a good workout. Thank you to Mark, Mike and everyone else involved in today's race. It is nice to have opportunities this time of year to race our bikes. Might hit the next round on Sunday or we might head to Snow Creek to practice skiing some more. The family is planning to head to Colorado for some Spring skiing or to the Grand Canyon in March. I need all the practice I can get. If you ever want a good laugh come check me out skiing. I am the dude who looks like he is 95 years old skiing as 5 year old's come flying by....

5 comments:

Rich Anderson said...

Sweet Chops!

Unknown said...

Chris, you're nuttier than a cashew farm. And get rid of those chops!!!

joel said...

I tried my hand at snow boarding a couple weeks ago, needless to say I reactivated some old neck injuries. Stick with skiing.

G-Wiz said...

Snow Creek has been our home as of late! I love that place. Not so much boarding the hill, but it's the only place to go get park practice in. I don't do any of that sissy skiing : ) Maybe we'll see you up there sometime and I can convince you to come hit some sweet jumps with us.

Good race... Wish I could of been there. Well, not really...

John said...

"Yes carolynn, I will have another beer..." LOL!