Monday, May 11, 2009

KC Bike Week 2009 - Day 3

The normal work week as arrived. That means a lot more traffic and I need to leave around 0500 to make it to work in time. The morning commute is mostly fine because at that time of the morning not many drivers are up. Heck, everyone I know at work is still sound asleep. Things start getting kind of busy right before 0600, but nothing compared to the commute home.

Last night our cat Betsy started crying again in the middle of the night. We adopted her about two years ago. She is a little weird and has some major issues such as she hides under the bed all day long until either Carolynn or I get home. She also has this weird sock fetish (BTW, do not goggle "sock fetish" at work) where she gets my socks out of the drawer in my office and take each pair and makes a trial to the our bed room in the house. Betsy was very busy last night and I awoke to all my socks being strewed down the hallway. I guess she wanted to tell me about it last night and each time I did not acknowledge her she went and got another sock.

Have you ever noticed that it actually cost more when you commute to work than when you drive? I guess this would depend on your commute distance, but with a 25 to 30 mile commute one way you burn a lot of calories each day. I estimated today I ate about $7.00 of extra food because of the nearly 2 hour ride in. If I would have just driven it would have only cost me about $3.50 in gas. Go figure....

Rough ride home tonight. I don't know if it was something I ate or "just one of those days". The weather was great, my route via Cliff Drive was very nice and pleasant, but I just had no legs today. I kept wanting to check my rear brake to see if it was rubbing or something. Every hill was laborious. I stopped by The Wheel Cyclery to get a new chain so I could finish the commuter rig build. I did a quick bike check while I was stopped. Even checked the seat height because I it felt like I was squatting. Everything checked out. It was just me. I think all the riding and house work is catching up with me. Or maybe I am just getting old and need more recovery between rides.

The ride for the day

A short cut through part of Gladstone. Can anyone guess where?

4 comments:

Biker Dave said...

I know where that shortcut is.....

Carolynn said...

Holy cow ........ she's never brought out that many socks before! I wonder what the deal was?

dirtdobber said...

I think she missed you. Don't ever leave us alone again....

Unknown said...

Be careful out there u weirdo...BTW, do u shower before u go into work? Or do u sit around smelling like a bum's nutsack :) jk

Oh, yeah. Question ... is it true that the more you work out, and become more physically fit, the easier it is for you to sweat? Why I'm asking is that I started working out with a trainer about a month and a half ago and now I'm sweating at the least little activity. I'm talking about completely soaked shirts ... "Joey sweat" if that gives u an idea, and I've never been much of a sweating kind of person. (no offense to Joey)