Friday, March 14, 2008

Good to be on the Trails Again

Daylight Savings Time and warmer weather have been great. I have been able to get in several long rides/runs each night after work. The Tuesday/Thursday road rides have started which allow for some good tempo rides. The only problem is, now I'm over trained and haven't allowed for enough rest so my body can recover properly.

One of the "B" races on my schedule is up tomorrow. The Spoke Pony is out a Landahl and starts at high noon. I planned to race the 3 hour event, but I may go ahead and race the 6 hour just to see where I stand and what changes need to be made to my training plan before the April 6th Ouachita Challenge. I guess the question is, will the race actually take place? The current forecast for this morning was a 30% chance of rain and then a 70% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow. We shall see...

Last night I was finally able to ride off-road. Randy and I went out to pre-ride the Spoke Pony course. The local trail conditions have improved enough to allow the trails to be ridden. I expected to see dozens of riders out at Landahl, but only two other riders were there including Doug Stone who had just done a test lap. He opted out to ride with us due to the "energy sapping nature" of the trails. Although dry enough to ride, they were a little spongy and a little slippery. As usual, had some trouble on Rim Job. That's the last time I ride easy on technical trails! Every time I do, I end up losing my balance and crash. Even with a crash or two I really enjoyed myself.

5 comments:

wunnspeed said...

Watch out there speedy!

Mark Studnicki said...

You're overtrained, and you still go out for a mtb ride, on very spongy "energy sapping" trails. Hmmmmm.

Chris Locke said...

What are you trying to say???

Randy said...

LOL.....

Ben aka "Good Ben" said...

As the gents from the Guinness commercials would say... BRILLIANT!!!
Happy St Patty's Day weekend and good luck at the race.