Saturday, August 4, 2012

Long-Haul Fitness

I need to start following through with some of the ideas that I dream up. I have worn many hats during my working career - just trying to find myself and feed the family.  Years ago one of the jobs that I had was delivering custom cabinets throughout Florida.  The wood working company was based out of Sunrise, FL and had customers as far up as Jacksonville, FL.  They needed someone that could drive and was strong enough to unload all the cabinets.  I have a class A Commercial Driver License due to working in the trucking industry for decades. While I do not really enjoy long hall trucking or unloading freight, I needed money so I accepted the job. 

Part of me enjoyed the driving.  Plenty of time to "dream" up new ideas.  Believe me I had plenty of them.  During this time I also completed my training/certification to become a personal trainer.  I enjoyed working out and riding my bike and really wanted to open up my own gym.  I usually only had one or two stops each day so after I was unloaded I had the rest of the day to return back to the shop.  Once a week I would get to head down to the Florida Keys for a delivery.  That was by far my favorite route because I would get to swim after I was unloaded.  I usually parked at Big Pine Key and would go for a nice swim or snorkel. 

Unlike normal truck drivers I was not going to let that fact that I drove a truck stop me from making time to workout.  One of the ideas that I had was to write a book on how to keep fit while driving.  Back then there was no "internet" or "DVD,s" so a book it was.  My theory was that if you kept fit you would be a better more productive driver.  Instead of spending time at truck stops eating greasy food, go for a run.  Instead of hiring a lumper, unload the freight yourself - it is a hell of a workout to unload a 53' foot trailer believe me.  I still have the rough draft of that book which included all kinds of workouts to do with just your body weight and techniques to get cleaned up after a workout - which can be challenging on the road.   

Today while listening to Competitor Radio I discovered that a fellow triathlete/trucker followed through with his idea and created Fitness Trucking. I really hope this takes off.  I would be really good for the Trucking Industry and all the drivers.  Who knows, maybe I will buy a truck and hit the road myself again :-)

I am glad I listened to the program today because it gave me some motivation to follow through with some ideas that I have. 

No comments: