Monday, February 11, 2008

Falling in Love Again

I brought my DEAN Castanza back from the dead. I got her a little over 10 years ago while working as a sales representative. We represented DEAN
bicycles amongst other things. I had been racing one of their mountain bikes with good success in the Florida MTB series and they offered me a road bike.

I can still remember the first ride on her back in 1996 just a few months after Christopher was born. I spent several hours building her on a Friday night and then took her on a little spin to test her out Saturday morning. I headed up the coast toward West Palm Beach via A1A and before I knew it I was flying past my normal turn around point having the ride of my life. I did not want to turn around - I was in Love.... I won one of my last road races on her with the help of my former teammate David Pitt. He set me up to win the Atchison Criterium several years ago. Wow, has it been that long since I raced road???

I have well over 10,000 miles on her and she has had several different build jobs. Each one was a little different, but came with that same awesome ride that the Castanza gave. I almost sold her last Fall, but something would not let me do it.....I built her back up this time with a mix of Ultegra 10 spd/Dura-Ace, Ritchey WCS (Carbon Fork, stem, bars, wheels, seatpost, saddle) and Crank Brothers Quatro pedals. Even though I have several other road bikes including an 06' Javelin Assisi, to me nothing beats the ride of my DEAN Castanza. I plan on hitting several road races and criteriums this year including the Missouri State Road Race - The Hellbender.

No comments: