Wednesday, June 6, 2007

No Magic Legs this year

This past weekend Ben, Neil and I headed over to St. Charles, Missouri for the 2007 Missouri State Mountain Bike Championships. Last year was very good to me as I won the state championship and brought home a coveted Championship Jersey. This year not so good...

I sensed things were not going to be good when Ben nearly cut off his finger before we event left. Apparently wiper blades on Toyota vehicles are not designed well and one has to apply RainX on a daily basis.

The Matson Hill course is located just outside the town of Defiance, MO.
Here is a story on how the town got it's name.

Ben and I were up first with a 9:00am start time. As I was warming up for the event I noticed my seat kept twisting. I tighten the heck out of the binder bolt, but it still twisted. After closer inspection I found out the top part of the seat post was twisting and it could not be fixed. To make matters worse, my chain would fall off when I turned right and cranked hard of the pedals. I was wishing I had not chosen to ride my single speed, but there was nothing I could do about it now.....long story short there were No Magic Legs this year. my chained derailed about 6 times and I my seat was just about useless and just about fell off by events end. I decided to make the most of it and just use the event as training. I even put in about 2 extra hours on the Katy trail while I waited for Ben to finish and Neil to race his event.

Some interesting awards were given out at this years event. Custom O'Fallon beer bottles were won along with USCF State Championship medals and jerseys for the winners.

Neil did great in his event and brought home a Silver medal for his efforts. He also was lucky and got to ride in a down poor which made for a very slick course.

No comments: