Sunday, March 1, 2009

BB36 Pre-ride Not So Good...

Well, the planned Bone Bender 3/6 Hour MTB Odyssey pre-ride did no go as planned....but it did go. Smithville got about 6 inches of snow on Saturday. A few "tough guys" did make it out to give it a try, but as you can see by the pictures below the going was tough.




I got to Smoken Davey early to check out the trails. After a quick pre-ride that quickly turned into a hike-a-bike on every uphill I decided to make a few calls to let everyone know that it was going to be a long day. Brent was also early, but only got to ride about 1/2 mile before he got a flat because he could not keep it on the trail and ended up off the trail and into the thorn bushes.

I finished off the Speedway section and came back to the trail head at 8:00 am to see if anyone had arrived. Once hardy sole who was visiting from Nebraska was there, but opted out after my honest appraisal of the trails - sucky snow. I ended up riding most of the day by myself. I tried to map the course, but after encountering 2 foot snow drifts I hit the paved trails which were in much better condition. On my way back from Sailboat cove, I ran into my new teammate Sean and his friend. I gave them a quick tour of the race site then we headed back to the vehicles to call it a day. I decided to get in some extra training and did a quick 2 mile run. Let me tell you this, it is much easier to run in snow than to bike....

No comments: