Friday, August 23, 2013

Fitness by Force

This summer I again took a different approach to training.  Nothing organized except for my PT and core training.  Everything else was basically to workout when I have the time and feel like it.  Main goal is to stay healthy (and happy).  As you would expect, a person's form would not be the best using this approach.


I think sometimes events in life occur for reasons that are at first not realized.  This summer Christopher was involved in a crash while driving Carolynn's car.  Result was not good - Matrix was totaled leaving us with only one vehicle to drive.  Nearly two months and over 30 test drives later we still have not found a replacement.   I am currently thinking "it was just meant to be". 
Several years ago I used to commuted to work by bike.  I enjoyed it and got in a lot of training by choice.  Many close calls and the rapid growth of smart phones put an end to that.   It really upsets me when I see people texting and using  their phones while driving.  When you are riding along the road and you hear a vehicle hitting the rumble strips (thank goodness for them on 9 Hwy in the Northland) behind you it really makes you think about cycling on the road.  That is one reason we have been doing the majority of our rides off-road.

With us being down to one vehicle I decided to give commuting another chance.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the new bike lanes and signs up on my ride to work (down by UMKC).  The rides in have been without incident for the most part.  I do have a few close calls like the one this morning when a car failed to stop at a stop sign and just pulled out in front of me.  If I would not have taken evasive action (jumping up on the sidewalk) they would have hit me.  This at 5:30 am in the morning and I have several lights and plenty of reflective gear on.  If they were looking they would have seen me which make me believe they had their eyes on something else besides the road.

All this additional riding has had two effects.  My form is improving quickly which is a good thing because Cross is just around the corner.  The other effect is my appetite has been greatly increased.   You would think that cycling in to work would save you money but for me it has not.  Any money savings in gas is only used to purchase the breakfast special of the day.  Today was a delicious combination of biscuits, gravy, sausage and an egg.

No comments: