Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring Break in Arkansas

Christopher was out on Spring Break this past week. Normally the family heads down to Florida when he has a week or more off to take advantage of the extra time off from school. But this year we decided to stay a little closer to home so we could spend more time preparing for our upcoming events (God's Country, Ouachita Challenge and Bone Bender 3/6 Hour).



On the way down we hit Slaughter Pen. What a fun place to ride. I can not believe that I have lived here for 13 years and have not ever ridden there. And it is less than a 4 hour drive. We had a blast and I can tell you that it will not take me another 13 years to visit those sweet trails again.


A little hiking was on tap Wednesday. We ventured up to the highest point in Arkansas which is located in Mount Magazine State Park. Christopher was not very impressed, but then again he does not like slow sports like hiking. I am currently planning to embark on one of my "Bucket List" objects - hiking the Appalachian Trail



Thursday we headed out to see how much of the Huckelberry Mountain Trails we could ride. These trails are located in the Ozark National Forest and are 34 miles long. Some of the miles are easy, but some are very hard core. I was afraid that Carolynn and Christopher would not enjoy them, especially the icy cold stream crossings, but they both liked our days adventure.



Good food (and fattening) was always close by in Arkansas. Along with my favorite beverage - Sweet Tea. I tried to eat healthy and get closer to my "racing weight" and ordered baked potatoes when I could. A this small hometown eatery they gave me over 10 butters with my order. With the size of our waitress I do believe the folks down there use every one of them.



Friday we enjoyed a day of ATV riding. I grew up on motorcycles and ATC's and have ridden thousands of miles on them. This trip was Carolynn's and Christopher's second time. Riding ATV's can be fun, but not at the pace our tour guide was going. We ended up having to slow down and allow the guide to get up ahead of the trail then we would blast up or down them and quickly catch back up. All along Christopher would hit every mud hole there was. Both of them were a filthy mess at the end.

1 comment:

@XperienceAR said...

Loved this post! Glad you had the opportunity to Xperience Arkansas.