Friday, January 6, 2012

Do you have the Desire?

It is that time of year again. Time for News Years resolutions and new goals for the year. I personally really enjoy this time of year. I get to wipe the slate clean and forget about last years shortcomings (which there were many for me this year).

I am basically a really goal oriented person. I need something to work towards to keep myself motivated. Over the years I have had some very great years where I reached all my goals. Other years not so much. Why is that you ask? I believe it come down to one thing. Desire and how bad do you want it?

I have helped some of my friends with their training programs over the years. When we get to setting goals for the year most of the time their goals are really lofty. I ask them do they realize what it is going to take to reach those goals. The sacrifices that are going to have to be made. I believe most goals can be reached but you have to have that one thing to reach them. The dirty little secret about reaching goals isn’t a complex secret: Those who succeed do not know the word quit. They want to taste success and are willing to do anything to taste it.

Setting goals for 2012 is my next task at hand. I am almost done and feel good about most of them. However, some of them are a little far reaching and I keep asking myself "Do you have the desire you work for these goals and make the necessary sacrifices?" As I get older the advice my mother once gave to me comes up more and more - "you only have one body and you better take care of it and not abuse it". Early in my life I did not heed this advice very well. I now wish I would have now because my body tells me every morning that I should have. My advice to you is just realize that anything is possible, but there is a price to pay. You just have to be willing to pay that price for what could be the rest of your life.

Good luck with your goals for 2012. I have many of them and believe this year is going to be a good one.

No comments: