Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cohutta 100 - Am I Ready?

My first big objective for the year has finally arrived. The Cohutta 100 is this weekend. Am I ready? I asked myself this very question this past Sunday during my last training ride.

As I stood at the entrance of Tiffany Springs Park eating my last bit of food and filling up my water bottle I came to the conclusion that I am no where near ready. I was just under 50 miles for the ride and I was wiped - cold, tired and very hungry. My legs were toast and my motivation level was zero. For the first time in my life I actually thought about calling Carolynn and have her pick me up. I still had about 15 hilly miles to go to get home and all I could think about was how nice it would be to be in a hot bath right now.

That thought of a warm bath and a post ride massage was enough to motivate me to continue on. After the ride Carolynn worked on my cramping legs. On Tuesday Betsy from Back and Body Works spent a lot time on my legs and today they feel a lot better. I am hoping that by Saturday they are near normal. At least then I know I can at least finish strongly.

I am excited about riding some new trails. The TN/GA area is at the foot hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and offer some great views. For some pics from last years event check out Blue Basin Photography.

After Saturday's race we are all heading to the Ocoee Whitewater Center I have not been whitewater rafting in years and look forward to it.

1 comment:

Breeves2000 said...

Good luck Chris. You'll do fine. If you find yourself in a bad place mentally, then take your mind off your performance and focus on the environment and the fact that you have the ability to do what you're doing. Have a fun and safe trip! Cowtown is proud of you regardless of where you finish.