Monday, November 5, 2007

Riverside Cyclocross Festival...Thank God it's Over.

What a weekend. I am just thank full it's over.

Friday I had a horrible migraine. I felt like tearing my head off. I ended up calling in sick and resting in the a.m. Tige Lamb came over in the afternoon to help me begin set-up for the Riverside Cyclocross. We ended up doing the majority of the stake pounding with the help of Gerard and Roger. Well, if you want to call it help, at times it was like 4 monkeys trying to put together a jig saw puzzle. Together we got R' done in about 5 hours. I am glad went out the day before because there would be no way we would have completed the work on race morning. After the course work I headed to the store to order a surprise birthday cake for Carolynn. November 3rd is her B-day and for the past 7 years a darn cyclo-cross race has gotten in the way of any form of proper celebration. I let Roger know that we need to do something for her and we started planning.

After a few hours sleep it was up at 4:00 am to head down to the course and finish everything up. Thankfully Heather and Dan Jordan was helping this weekend and along with Elliott, some of her MS 150 team and some Cow Town Cycling members we got everything ready by about 10:00 am. First race was not until 11:30 am so I decided to go ahead and race. Did not really feel up to it, but it sometimes eases my nerves to race during an event..... After a quick tune-up on Christopher's bike we were ready to go. I got the hole shot over Cameron Chambers and led for 2 corners :-). I most should not have went off so fast, but I always seem to do stupid stuff. Long story short I ended up 5th out of 11 single speeders. Not bad when you consider all the work I had done the 3 days prior to this event. Christopher had a great day and rode very strong. Even riding the sand pit just about every time. Heck, I only rode it once during my race. He was running the barriers like a pro.

Saturday night was to be relaxing and I was suppose to get some rest. Well it was not. I only got about 2 hours sleep. The rest of the night I kept getting up to pack things I had forgotten the previous day. Morning finally came and I got to the park to a disaster. Some wild animal had ran through all the tape we left up and I had to re-tape most of the course. I kept wondering were all the volunteers were. After about 3 hours some started to show. Better late than never I guess :-)....I again decided to race and ripped another hole shot from Cameron Chambers and Nat Woodman and the other 15 single speeders. I was very happy with the larger than normal field. With the course running backwards I lasted about 15 corners this time. Nat and Cameron went by me so fast on the first climb it was rather embarrassing. I settled in and had a good race and think my form is coming around. Heck, I even hit the barriers good for a change.

No comments: