Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Thoughts of Dan in the Night.

Last night I went out on a long ride which ended in darkness.  The thoughts that come into a man's mind during a peaceful night ride vary. On this night all I could think about was Dan. 

6 years ago today a very special person was taken from us all.  Daniel Tenaglia passed from injuries he sustain when he was struck by a vehicle.  Dan truly did make a difference and still does today.

As I silently rode along the floodplain area just outside of Parkville, MO (a route that what will soon become part of the Northland Trail System), thoughts of "what if" crept into my mind.  What if I had never given Dan that old Trek MTB bike of mine?  Would he had still been riding on that Alabama road back on February 11, 2007?  What if I would have never climbed on a motorcycle?  Would my little brother John still have passed oh so early in life?

I continue to work my way along the route which flows with the Missouri River.  It is very dark by now as I stop to rest and refuel.  A large log that had been washed up on the river banks provides a welcomed resting area. I sit and look around at nature.  Dan is with me and we both watch the herd of deer approach.  They do not notice either of us for several minutes.  Wildlife and nature are so beautiful and I am glad that we can see them together.

As the deer meander across the field I  think about continuing along into the night. I think about the camping and hiking stories Dan used to tell me.  I wonder if I could be like Dan and just be riding along and then just stop and camp out - no tent, just nature and him. The short stop has caused my body temperature to fall.  I start to shiver due to the cold temperature.  It was just above 40 degrees when I left, but as darkness fell so did the temperatures.  I decide it is time to head home.  I say good bye to Dan as his image fades into the dark river. Just as in life, tonight we only shared a small amount of time together.

Today I replanted one of the many plants that Dan gave me.  Ironically, yesterday someone at work knocked the plant off the window ledge causing it to break. I have faith that it will continue on for many years and will never be forgotten.

Rest in Peace
Dan Tenaglia
1969 - 2007









 

No comments: