Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sometimes it's a Lonely Ride

Have you ever got the feeling that you are all lone.....

Bike Week is in full swing, but where are all the cyclist in the morning? I have yet to see any on my way to work from the Northland. Maybe it's because when I leave home in the early morning it is still very dark outside.

The morning commutes are not like they used to be for sure. Especially since good ole' Dave took the high road and started his own consulting business. BITD we had good group that would commute in. I still remember waiting in the darkness for what seems like hours at the corner of 68th and Greenhills thinking if anyone would show up. Things would get real quite and you would be surprised what would show up. At that location it is a tie between a goat and a homeless person walking out of the woods. Both scared the crap out of me and I soon stopped waiting alone.

The commutes now are all solo. In the early morning I normally don't encounter anything but deer and an occasional dog chasing me. I actually look forward to these encounters because sometimes it's a lonely ride out there. Things pick up as the approach to Downtown KC brings out all sorts of things including those dreaded loud buses and trucks. At least they normally give cyclist enough space to safely pass.

Tonight's ride home looks like it is going to be a wet one just like Monday's commute in was. I got my rain jacket, but wish that I had my fenders back on. I will add that to the "Must Do" list because more rain is expected on Thursday and Friday morning. That first rain ride is fun, but they get old real quick...

2 comments:

The Wheel Race Team said...

Chris ..Everyone was at the Coffee stop eating scones:)

Tim Greene said...

I generally see about 1 or 2 bikers on my way in. Lots of joggers and dog walkers in Joco. On the way home, I usually see about a 5 or 6 commuters. That is pretty standard even when the commuter challenge is over.